Friday, June 21, 2013

One Week to Go!

It's down to the wire now -- one more week before we pack up the Uhaul and head out of here. I'm proud to report we've done good work on our bucket list, which seems to get changed around pretty often, but we've hit the big ones:

1) The Cloisters. We drove up on my birthday and saw the tapestries, the old Medival works of art, the beautiful garden with old European architecture. It's like a secret museum in a secret, secluded spot on a hill. I'm surprised it took us so long to get there. 

2) We didn't get to see the Nets, but we DID see the Mets. Twice. I didn't even have it on my list that they had to win, or that Foreigner had to play a live free show after, but that's the way the dice rolls in NY. You make a little bit of effort and the city rewards you with extra awesome.

3) Dinner at Eleven Madison Park. We did that. I'll be eating noodles at home for the next four years to make up for it, but it's just as well. Blog post on EMP here. That honey duck with lavender was amazing.

4) We saw a rooftop film. I forgot to put it on the list before, but this is something we'd wanted to do for a long time, and when a friend texted me to invite us last Saturday, we went. There was a live local band and animated shorts. They weren't all my favorite, but I'll miss the art and creativity hidden underground and above treetops and everywhere else in NYC.

5) I knocked off the sushie biggies. We ate at Yasuda and had the best omakase either of us have ever had. I got to try Karumazushi, which has been on my list since I ready Garlic & Sapphires years ago.

Updated to-do list:

1) See the old City Hall subway stop (still)
2) Go to Spa Castle (Because a day at a regular spa wouldn't be enough, right?)
3) Ride the ferry (it's only a few blocks from me; I have no excuse for this)

Even if we don't hit the rest of these, I'll be happy with everything we've been able to do lately. Right now I'm getting a little more focused on the big road trip ahead. I've never had to wonder things like "Should we make a pit stop in Casper, Wyoming?" before. It's kind of exciting. Sights are shifting to the road ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment