Monday, July 13, 2015

Skirt Steak with Chimichurri, Farro Salad, Walla Walla Wine

I think I've got down the equation for a perfect Sunday dinner: two parts slow, one part fast.


By this I mean two ingredients that need to sit and let the flavors mingle together in the fridge for a couple hours. You can prepare at will and then let it finish preparing itself while you nap off the effects of a hike. Yesterday, this was an Italian-inspired farro salad and an oily, bright green chimichurri sauce. The farro was adapted from Giada's recipe; I added some goat cheese and avocado to make it a little more exciting. I added a dash of red wine vinegar to the vinaigrette, to intensify the balsamic. And instead of chives, I gathered fresh basil from our garden. The chimichurri I copied exactly from Chow.com. Only I used more garlic. I always do.

The second part of the Sunday lazy meal equation: a meat that you can grill up on the back deck and have ready within minutes. In this case, it is a skirt steak, seasoned simply with salt and pepper, topped with the chimichurri. 

A bottle of red washes it all down nicely. We opted for a local(ish) Stateline Red from Gifford Hirlinger winery in Walla Walla. It was reminiscent of the day we spent tasting at the vineyards over Memorial Day weekend.

A pretty good choice for a Sunday, where the prep is as slow as you want, and the assembly is as quick as finding the bottle opener.


Sidenote: the bird in the top left of the picture opens beer bottles, not wine bottles, but I like it cause every good picture has a bird in it somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment